Wednesday 1 April 2009

Happy New FY Day!

OMG! To kick off the new FY, guess what Ms Shopaholic did yesterday evening?

You got it - I did what I do best - I went shopping!

Let's see now, I bought yet another pair of shoes, I couldnt help it, I thought to myself as I stared at them in the shop window, "my feet would love fantastic in them!" Lovely red pair of 3-inch heels, only $189! On sale! Also decided I needed a red bag to match my shoes, so bought a large red leather handbag from....

Haha, fooled you! Happy April Fool's Day!

This time, I can proudly say that I did not, I repeat, DID NOT shop at all last evening.

In fact, I got into a little tiff with the Boyfriend. As usual, he had one beer too many, was in an argumentative mood and was trying to pick a fight with me over the phone. I, on the other hand, had just had two very stressful daya at work, and all I wanted to do was to unwind at home and not get into a stupid argument over nothing. I tried not to lose my temper, but failed, called him an arsehole and promptly hung up on him! What irritated me further was that when I got home, I found him asleep! At 7pm, for God's Sake!! Obviously, the name-calling didnt bother him one bit!

Anyway, since he was asleep, I decided to go for a walk instead to clear my head. Oh-oh, you might think to yourself, going for a walk = going on a spending spree? Not this time! Instead, I had a quickie dinner, then went to watch a movie (yes, all by myself!) all shopaholics should watch - Confessions of a Shopaholic!

At least, I thought it was a movie all shopaholics should watch. The beginning was promising enough, I loved the beginning sequence - I knew exactly how the protagonist felt when she walked past shops, and all the mannequins in the shop windows seemed to beckon to her, entice her into coming into the shop to buy something. And I felt the same way when her eyes lit up at the sight of a bright red 'Sale' sign in the window. And the horror she felt when she opened her credit card bills. Yes, I understood completely. This movie was speaking to me in a language I could understand.

Except that the movie couldnt maintain its early wit and sparkle, and at the end of the movie, I felt rather disappointed. The feeling was similar to buying something which looked great online, only to be unpleasantly surprised by how bad the quality is when it arrives. Anyway, the shopping scenes were great of course, I mean, which shopping scene isnt? Think back to Pretty Woman, when Julia Roberts was spinning around in a beautiful polka-dot brown dress and she had a big ol' grin on her face, with Richard Gere looking on approvingly. I mean, wasnt that a feel-good moment!

But yes, back to the movie, some parts were funny, but for most part, I found the movie to be a bit disjointed. And very predictable. Just another crazy girl meets serious boy and falls in love, The End. I know this is a chick flick, and I LOVE watching chick flicks and rom-coms, but I just couldnt get into this movie all. Give me Love Actually or Four Weddings and a Funeral - any day of the week.

Isla Fisher was trying waaay too hard to be funny and bubbly and likeable, and to me, she ended up being a bit irritating, quite slapstick, and manic. Also, I thought the character Becky was meant to be English, not American? As for Hugh Dancy (is that his name?), he was just boring boring boring! And horrors of horrors, Hugh reminded me of a Boy I once dated, who was also boring boring boring. So, as far as British actors go, I'll stick with the other Hugh - Hugh Grant, very naughty and sexy, and Hugh Jackman (who isnt English but has played enough English parts) who is macho and sexy. Of course, there is also Mr Darcy, I mean Colin Firth and also Matthew MacFadyen... yum....

Sorry, got distracted there.

So, if you want to spend money on mindless entertainment - go watch this movie. But I think you should save the $8 movie ticket, add a few more dollars to go shoe-shopping instead, and wait for the movie to be shown on TV.

But if you really really have to watch this movie - dont! Buy the books instead, they are definitely more entertaining than the movie!

No comments: