Thursday 26 March 2009

New Financial Year, New Blog

With the current recession in Singapore, you'd think Singaporeans would stop reaching into their wallets to buy unnecessary things like handbags and shoes and clothes, and spend their hard-earned cash wisely on whatever that is important to them in life, hmm, like, paying their electricity bills, paying for their kid's education, and whatever else responsible people spend their money on these days.

Not me. I like handbags and shoes more than having electricity (unless of course it disrupts my online shopping!). I dont have kids. And I'm not very responsible.

I am a shopaholic. I am addicted to shopping. Shopping is really like a drug, I get such a high from buying stuff. And for a junkie like me, it doesnt matter if the stuff I buy is cheap or expensive - though I especially like it when I get them at a discount. When I'm down in the dumps or have had a fight with the boyfriend, a trip to the mall makes me happy again. And even if I'm feeling ill, shopping takes the pain away and makes me feel human again.

True story: I had to recuperate at home after having surgery to remove my gall-bladder. I felt so bored, all I did was watch telly, sleep and sleep some more, no thanks to the painkillers I had to take everyday, and I also constantly irritated the boyfriend with my patheticness. A week after the surgery, I couldnt take it anymore, so I ventured out - bandages and all - to the mall for a bit of retail therapy. Ended up with a lovely little cocktail dress and a pair of matching shoes, and wouldnt you know it, I felt no pain after the shopping trip. So I stopped taking painkillers, I showed the BF how not-needy I was, and everyone was happy!

So, with the recession and all, I should try saving some money. Ok, the truth is, I want to save some money because there is something I really, really want to buy this year.

A flat. A four-room HBD flat. I am over 35 (did I just say that?), and I (think) I have enough clothes, shoes and handbags to last me a lifetime, unless of course I put on weight, my feet starts to swell and my handbags get eaten by moths.

In order to afford a HDB flat - do you know how expensive these things are!! - I have to save money, and in order to do that, I have to stop shopping. Ok, maybe not totally stop, but cut down a little. In order to kick my shopping habit, I think I should list down all the things I have purchased during this FY. I'm hoping if I actually have write down what I've bought and how much I've spent with reasons on why I've bought them, it could shock me into not shopping so much! Hence, the purpose of this blog.

So, let's start from this week:

Mon, 23 Mar 09
Silver sandals, Crocs: $54 - I need a comfy pair of walking shoes for my holiday in April!
White blouse, Forever 21:$43 - For work!

Tue, 24 March 09
3 books, Anchorpoint Times Bookfair: all 3 for $10! Bargain!!

Wed, 25 March 09
Lemongrass bodymist - $22 (I now smell fantastic and it also acts as a mosquito repellent!)
A pair of glasses - $500 (I need a new pair because my eyesight is deteriorating, and also my current metal frames keep poking the BF when we're trying to cuddle)

Total: $629.

Eeek! Not looking good for my savings!

No comments: